Thursday, June 18, 2009

Pit Bull & Bunnies


In addition to raising and training my dog, I am also dabbling in fostering small animals. I currently am fostering the meanest gerbil in the world (TM), and just got in two rabbits to foster while they recover from their spays. "Panda" and "Vanilla" are very sweet and love to cuddle, as long as the big mean dog isn't around.

Howie, on the other hand, thinks these guys should be his new playmates. The bunnies are housed in our guest bedroom where his crate is kept, and we do leave the door open and he is kept in his crate when we are not home - so cohabiting with these rabbits is not much of a problem. Still, when we are home and supervising his free time, he will often wander over to the guest bedroom door, careful not to step over the threshold into the room, and do a bit of whine - either wanting to play with this bunnies as if they were smaller dogs, or eat them. My mind likes to think it's the previous, but I know it's probably the latter, since pit bulls are known to have rather strong prey-drives. They are terriers, after all.

Still, he is practicing amazing self-control, which is a bonus to me. When cuddling on the couch, he will listed to my voice commands of "leave it" or "back," both of which he knows well. Even though we're not always training, manners are expected of my dog, and this has been the ultimate test of his self-control!

No comments:

Post a Comment