Saturday, July 11, 2009

Our First Show

I was going to write a blog about "baby steps," but then I remembered that I forgot to post about our first show!

Last weekend I took the plunge and decided to enter our first show - the 4th of July weekend, no less. My parents had left that Thursday to for a bit of a road trip to Wisconsin, so Howie and I headed over there to stay the night, "house sit," and take a bit of a "vacation" ourselves. We awoke in the wee hours of the morning to get the car pack up and head out to Ann Arbor, MI. I got there with plenty of time to set up my crate, enter the show, and sit.

And sit.

And sit.

And get nervous.

I had chosen a C-WAGS show because they focus on just having fun with your dog and I thought the environment would be inviting - and it so was! We entered both "level 1" obedience classes offered, and while we NQ'd out of both classes (you either qualify or not qualify, and then placing out of the qualifying scores), but everyone was so helpful and inviting, and I loved the environment!

During our first trial, I was very nervous and you could tell; Howie could tell. It was a mess, and I was so nervous that I think I blacked out and just did the exercises the judge was telling me to do. Howie knew EVERYTHING that was asked of him, but he could sense my own apprehensiveness about the situation and just said, "Something must be wrong, so I should watch EVERYTHING else going on...just in case." The judge was very helpful and let us know where we messed up and where I should have done what.

I took the time between our first class and our second class to relax, walk around, and watch the other exhibitors. I met some great people, and got to a "post" for the figure-8 exercises in the Level 2 class. Again, meeting more great people and learning so much.

Our second class was easier, I think, because I now knew many of the people I was competing with, and I was no longer in front of an audience of strangers. These people weren't judging me, they were comrades. I was still nervous, though. Just, not as much. We still NQ'd, but it was a much better go-around than our first - which is all I can ask of my dog, who tried so hard to please me that day.

There are no "omg" stories, or "you'll never believe what I heard" tales. It was a rather boring day. Which, I think is what I would prefer - no big problems or horrible outcomes, just a bunch of dog lovers having fun with our dogs.

Out photographer for the weekend was Ray Dutton, and he caught some great shots. I have not purchased any photos from him, although there is one I do want to purchase because I love it. If you visit Ray's website, keep an eye out for the girl wearing a blue polo & khakis, working with her tan & white pit bull.

No comments:

Post a Comment